Yield 3 dozen
- 1/2 cup cocoa, unsweetened
- 4 squares (1 oz. each) unsweetened baking chocolate
- 4 sticks butter (1 lb)
- 4 cups sugar
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups cake flour (all purpose flour also works)
- Preheat oven to 325° place rack in middle of oven
- Generously spray a large cookie sheet (jelly roll pan) with cooking spray
- Melt butter, baking chocolate and cocoa together in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat and stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Gradually whisk in sugar by hand with a wire whisk.
- Add eggs, two at a time and stir until well blended after each addition also using a wire whisk, by hand.
- Whisk in vanilla.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a separate bowl and stir.
- Fold flour mixture into chocolate mixture in three additions. Do not over mix, do not use a mixer.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake about 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
-Important for this recipe-Do not mix brownies with an electric mixer. This recipe may likely overflow if not mixed by hand in large pan or a large bowl. -The brownie batter fits perfectly into a 12x17x1 jelly roll pan. The batter will almost fill to the top of the pan before cooked. -Laurie tried the brownies both with cake flour and regular flour and didn't notice a significant difference.