Cheddar, Bacon and Chive Scones
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar or other cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped chives or green onions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking pan with parchment paper or lightly grease pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or blend into flour mixture with fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal. Pour buttermilk into measuring cup and add egg, then beat together. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients in bowl. Mix just until incorporated. Add 1-2 tablespoons of milk or buttermilk if necessary to make dough that is easy to handle but not sticky. Fold in bacon, cheese and chives.
- Pat the dough into a 10 inch circle on a floured surface. Cut into half, then quarters. Cut each quarter into 2- 3 pieces, to make 8-12 total slices (depending on the size of scone you desire). Brush with butter if desired.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and bake in 375 degree oven for 25 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately or follow directions below for make ahead.
-For make ahead-Bake these the day before serving for 20 minutes and place in a Ziploc bag after they are cooled. When ready to eat, place on cookie sheet in oven for about 5 minutes at 325 degrees.-These will not raise a lot or "grow" in size after baking (as compared to a yeast scone).