Last in the lineup of cookie crazy.
Christmas Pecan Shortbread Cookies
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2/3 brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped nuts- pecans, walnuts or a mixture
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pecans for topping cookies, optional
- Cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 cup chopped nuts. Measure and sift together flour, cornstarch and salt. Mix dry ingredients into butter-sugar mixture in mixing bowl with mixer set on lowest setting, or use hands and large spoon to mix.
- Turn out to lightly floured surface and knead in flour until cracks appear on surface of dough. Using small 1 inch scoop, make balls of dough.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with fork and press pecan into center of cookie. Bake at 275 for about 20-30 minutes or until cookie is light golden color and cooked through.
-If the dough is too dry after mixing in dry ingredients and will not hold together, add 1-2 tablespoons milk or water.-You may also roll out this dough and cut into strips and bake.-This is a firm, crunchy cookie. perfect for dipping in hot cocoa of coffee.-The cookies may be rolled into balls and baked without flattening. After removing from oven, roll in powdered sugar. Let cool, then roll in powdered sugar again.-Leave off the pecan on top and dip half of the cookie into melted chocolate, or melt chocolate and drizzle on top of baked and cooled cookie.-These cookie freeze well. They also keep well in a cool place, covered, for about a month.