My friend Eden Bennett gave me this recipe about 100 years ago.
I think it’s the best Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.
Oh, make sure you have some milk chilling. You’ll need a big, tall glass.
Giant Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups butter, slightly softened, no substitutes
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups quick oats
- 1 1/2 bags Guittard or other milk chocolate chips
- The day before or several hours before baking:
- Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla, beat until no longer grainy. About 3 minutes.
- Combine all dry ingredients in bowl. Mix in a little at a time to wet ingredients. Do not over mix. Blend just until wet and dry ingredients are combined, You may also mix by hand to prevent over-mixing. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop dough onto one large jelly roll pan, using a 2-3 inch cookie or ice cream scoop. Place cookie dough onto pan, closely together until all of the dough is scooped out. You should have approximately 36 balls of dough.
- Cover pan with Saran wrap and place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or until dough is chilled completely.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place dough onto cookie sheets, no more than 6 cookies per pan. Slightly flatten top of cookie with spatula or palm of your hand.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cookies cool completely on baking sheet.
-I like the flavor of Guittard Milk Chocolate Chips. The Guittard chips are also larger than a standard chocolate chip.-To bring the butter to perfect temperature, remove from refrigerator and microwave 1 cup (2 cubes) at a time for 15-20 seconds. Or set on counter for about 30 minutes.