Football. One more game. The Biggie.
If your are not a football fan, it’s time to rejoice! This is the last game of the season!
Here’s my version of 7 Layer Dip- not too spicy, but with a little kick to balance out all of the richness of the dip.
Classic 7 Layer Dip
- 3-5 ripe avocados (3 is minimum, 5 means a good thick layer of guac)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- Tabasco, to taste
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 30 oz can refried beans*
- 1 bunch of green onions, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (Roma's are best)
- 1 cup or one small can sliced black olives
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- corn or tortilla chips
- Peel, pit and smash avocados in a medium size bowl. Add lemon or lime juice, salt and garlic. Add Tabasco to taste. Cover and place in Refrigerator.
- Mix sour cream, mayo and taco seasoning together in small bowl, whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- To assemble dip, spread refried beans on a platter.
- Top with avocado mixture, leaving a 1 inch space around the edge.
- Spread the sour cream mixture on top of the avocado layer, again, leaving a 1 inch layer around the edge. Sprinkle remaining ingredients on top and serve with tortilla chips.
- If not serving immediately, place in refrigerator, covered until ready to serve.
-You may sub 1 teaspoon of garlic salt for the salt and garlic in the avocado layer.-If you use refried beans without lard, they will not have a smooth appearance. In the photos above, I used no-fat beans. I prefer to use regular refried beans with lard, because they have a nicer appearance in this dish.-Roma tomatoes are best for this dip, because they are less juicy than other types of tomatoes. It is possible to use another type of tomato for this recipe, just remove the juicy seeds before using. Or if you are serving immediately after assembling, it is fine to use juicier tomatoes.-Don't make this sooner than about 4 hours before serving or the avocado layer will begin to turn brown. The lemon juice will keep it bright for a few hours.