I’ve been making this recipe forever. With twist here and there. Sometimes I use pineapple and mashed banana, other times pineapple and applesauce. Last week, I had a few mangoes sitting on my counter, getting close to the too-ripe stage.The ripe mangoes were perfect for baking, and for my newest combo- Pineapple-Mango Breakfast Muffins. A great fit for breakfast because of the fruit and yogurt, and not too much sugar… so you can eat a muffin without the guilt.Because none of us need a helping of guilt to start the day, do we?Have a great day 🙂
Pineapple Mango Breakfast Muffins
- 1 cup white flour
- 3/4 cup wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar ( if you like your muffins sweeter, increase this to 1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-8 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 large ripe mango (important that it is ripe and sweet), pitted, peeled and diced
- 7-8 oz plain or vanilla yogurt ( I used Greek yogurt)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- additional sugar (about one tablespoon) for top of muffin, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 with rack in center of oven.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, place drained pineapple, diced mango, yogurt, eggs and oil in the well. Or just mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl, then pour all at once into the dry ingredients. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry, just until the flour disappears. Do not over mix.
- Scoop the batter into a muffin tin that has been greased or lined with cupcake liners. Fill muffin tins about 3/4 full. Sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes or until tops are golden and muffin springs back when touched lightly.
- Makes approximately 10-12 muffins.