Coffeecake is always on our list for Christmas breakfast. I love Berry Merry Coffeecake because it’s easy to make and can be made either Christmas morning or the day before. It’s a one bowl, mix and bake type of dish. Perfect for when you’re in a hurry, but want something special for your Christmas table.
One more week!
Berry Merry Coffeecake
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup vanilla or plain yogurt
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup berries fresh or frozen (in the winter, I use a frozen tri-berry mix)Topping- 3 choices (using all three looks extra festive) :Streusel (optional) or sprinkle with powdered sugar, or drizzle, listed below
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup chopped pecansand/or
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons cream
- dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract and/or powdered sugar, in a shaker
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 10-inch Spring form pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 and set the rack in the middle of the oven.
- Cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs. Add yogurt and blend well. Add all of the dry ingredients to the bowl. Mix just until the wet and dry ingredients are incorporated. Fold in the berries. Spread the batter into the prepared pan (it will be thick).
- Prepare the streusel topping by mixing all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Sprinkle over the top of the cake, if making with streusel, otherwise, just bake the cake without a topping.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool for about 10 minutes, and run a knife around the sides of the Spring form before detaching the side form.
- When cake is completely cool, whisk powdered sugar in a bowl, add cream, salt and flavoring. Drizzle with a spoon over the cake. Let sit for about 30 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.
-This may be made the day before serving. After the cake is cooled, remove the springform side and cover with foil.-If the powdered sugar "melts" into the cake, simple sprinkle again. I often sprinkle the pieces on a serving plate as well.-You may use all three toppings if you like!-If you don't have vanilla or plain yogurt, you may use fruit on the bottom style yogurt, simply scoop the yogurt off the top of the fruit and add to the cake, discard fruit layer. Sour cream may also be substituted.