I want to let you in on a secret. You know that saying, “if you build it, they will come?” If you cook, your kids will learn to love good food and want to return home. It’s simple. Love + cooking = creating a legacy of good memories in the kitchen. When my kids were very young, we spent hours together in the kitchen. I was the neighborhood caterer and often hired out to do weddings, luncheons, holiday parties, etc. My kids always helped out with the prep work, delivery and (everyone’s favorite task) clean up! At the time, it was way to make a few extra dollars and also a way to teach my kids how to work and earn a little money of their own. What I didn’t appreciate then, was the impact cooking would have on our family in years to come. I had no idea that my love of cooking and creating in the kitchen would also create a love of food for my children as well.
I gave a talk last year at BYU Women’s Conference on sharing talents. I talked about our favorite cookie, the Tried and True Chocolate Chip Cookie. In the talk I reflected on the many times we have made cookies for someone who was having a bad day, a new neighbor, someone who just had a baby, or a death in the family. My remarks concluded with this paragraph…
“The best compliment I receive is when a person tells me “I made that recipe for my family and they loved it!” They are creating a memory of their own. One that will stay in their families hearts and minds and will be tucked away when a child is away on a mission, or across the country at dental school, serving in the military, or in a difficult marriage and living away from everyone they love. At that time, they can reach back into that reserve and know they are loved.”
You see, to me, this blog is about way more than just making cookies. It’s about love and sharing what God has given to me. It’s about hoping that same love gets passed on to my family and friends and everyone who reads ABK. It’s about bridging our lives together through memories and good food made in our homes.
The cookie recipe I’m sharing today is one Brookie, my youngest daughter has been making since she was about 12 years old. It’s a chewy cookie with a little bit of everything we love, chocolate, coconut, crunch from the cereal…It’s a family favorite in our Bountiful Kitchen. Hope you enjoy and take time to make some memories in your kitchen in 2016!
Everything (we love) Cookies
Yield 22 cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened, not melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup regular oats
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 heaping cup chocolate chips
- 1 heaping cup corn flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 convection and place rack in center of oven. If no convection, heat to 375.
- Cut butter into tablespoons and place in large mixing bowl. Turn the mixer on low.
- Add sugars, eggs and vanilla. Beat on low speed until blended.
- Turn off mixer. Scrape down the blades of the beater and the sides of the bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to bowl.
- Turn mixer on low and mix just until all of the flour disappears and ingredients are blended well. Do not turn above low speed.
- If needed, stop mixer, and scrape down the ingredients into the bowl.
- Using a scoop, place 6 scoops of cookie dough onto cookie sheet. Press down lightly with palm of hand to flatten the ball of dough just a bit.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes at 350 convection, or 10-12 minutes on regular bake (375 degrees).
- Remove from oven, let cool.
Last month, with the help of my very supportive family, and a talented film crew, we created ABK academy. ABK academy is a way for me to share my love of cooking and cooking methods that have been tested and found to be successful in the kitchen. The academy is not a guarded collection of recipes (many can be found right here on A Bountiful Kitchen) but a video guide with step by step instructions to help you create recipes that will become treasures in your own home. If 2016 is the year you’ve resolved to eat out less and learn to cook, come join us in the ABK academy! Special offer code for loyal readers here for a limited time.