What says I love you more than a home made chocolate treat Chocolate Ganache Cake with Raspberries and Almond Cream is beautiful and simple and tastes like something you order in a high end restaurant. It takes about 10 minutes to mix up the cake, and less than 30 to bake. While it’s baking, you can make the ganache and whip the cream. Haven’t ever made ganache? It consists of warming the cream and adding chocolate to the warm cream. Yup. That’s it.
After the cake is cooked and cooled, it can be glazed and set aside for later.
Hope you enjoy a sweet holiday with the ones you love!
Chocolate Ganache Cake with Raspberries and Almond Cream
- for cake:
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups flour*
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 11/2 cups buttermilk
- for ganache:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (if you want the ganache to be thinner, use 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup dark chocolate (chips or broken up bar chocolate 8 oz)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- whipped cream topping:
- 2 cups heavy whipped cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2-1 teaspoon almond extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cocoa powder, for dusting top of cakes
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Set rack in middle of oven.
- Grease and line two 8 inch cake pans. Grease the parchment paper.
- Sift the flour into a bowl along with the cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl until they are mixed well, about 1 minute on medium speed. Add the vanilla and eggs, beat for about 1 minute.
- Add the dry mixture, alternately with the buttermilk mix on low speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl twice, until all of the buttermilk and the flour has been added and mixed well. After all of the ingredients have been added, mix for about 1 minute.
- Divide the batter evenly into the two pans. Place the pans on the center rack and bake for about 25 minutes or until a few moist crumbs are attached to a toothpick. This cake may take less time if you are baking in a dark pan. Be careful to not let this cake overcook!
- Remove from oven, let cool.
- While the cake is baking, make the ganache:
- Heat the cream in a medium size bowl in microwave for one minute. Remove and stir in chocolate chips or broken up bar chocolate. Add vanilla and continue to mix with spoon or small whisk until smooth. The heat from the cream should melt the chocolate. Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes, then spread the mixture evenly onto cooled cakes. You may layer the cakes, or serve them as single layers. If this mixture starts to thicken too much before the cakes are cooled, you may warm the ganache for about 10 seconds and then spread on the cakes. If you want the ganache to be thinner, use 3/4 cup cream instead of 1/2.
- Whip the cream in a large mixing bowl, add the powdered sugar and if desired, the almond or vanilla extract. Refrigerate until ready to serve with the cake and berries.
- To assemble: Slice the cake and place on a plate. Top with whipped cream. Dust with cocoa powder and serve with fresh raspberries or strawberries.
-*If you are not baking at a high altitude, Adjust the flour to 2 cups. This recipe works well in our mountain (4,000 ft ) altitude.-This recipe will yield about two dozen cupcakes. Bake for about 15-18 minutes.