Looking for a quick and easy dessert? One Bowl Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake topped with powdered sugar and a scoop of vanilla ice cream is the perfect summer dessert! No frosting needed, only a dusting of powdered sugar and you’re ready to go.
Right about now, zucchini are making their appearance in gardens everywhere. If you aren’t careful, the cute green vegetable can go from 10 inches to 20 inches almost overnight! I love to stir-fry zucchini or often make ABK’s Italian Zucchini Sticks for a quick dinner side. My favorite way to eat zucchini is in the form of bread, or cake or muffins. Have you ever tried ABK’s Chocolate Zucchini Cake?? Oh my. You won’t believe you’re eating zucchini.
Last night, while I was watching the ‘Limpics, we finished up dinner and I was having a serious chocolate and cake craving. But not a chocolate cake craving .Yes, there’s a difference. What to make. I looked in the fridge, and there were 4 zucchini with nowhere to go on a Tuesday night. I fired up the oven, grated a small (ish) zucchini and threw together this cake, in one bowl, in about 5 minutes. I’m a HUGE fan of one bowl, no fuss desserts that are homemade.
About 35 minutes later… my cake and chocolate craving were satisfied. We topped it with ice cream, dusted with powdered sugar and I was back watching Michael Phelps swim his way to his 20th gold medal. Amazing. Both Michael and the cake.
I promise this is simple enough your 10 year old can make it. Here’s the best way to make sure you (or little Sally) win gold in the baking department.
- Gather all of the ingredients together, make sure you have everything you need to make the recipe.
- Prepare the pan, or dish or whatever vessel you’re using to bake on or in.
- Turn the oven on and double check the temperature. Move the rack to the recommended height in the oven.
- Pre measure the ingredients into small bowls. This is especially helpful if young kids are cooking. Or distracted adults 🙂 This way, you won’t have Jr saying they can’t remember if they already put in the baking soda or powder, which is critical, but can’t be detected until AFTER the baking process is over.
- SET THE TIMER. SET THE TIMER. SET THE TIMER. self explanatory.
**One more note** It’s best if you watch the kids (a time or two) while they are measuring to make sure they are accurate and don’t mistake a teaspoon for a tablespoon. I don’t recommend doing it for them, unless they are 4 years old. My kids tell me to this day fractions were easy for them because of measuring while cooking! #Summerschool
You’re set. Dazzle your family tonight with this warm, one bowl wonder.
One Bowl Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake
Yield 16 servings
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup white (granulated) sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups grated zucchini, with green skins on (about one medium zucchini)
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking pan. Set rack in center of oven.
- Grate the zucchini, measure out 1 3/4 cups. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl.
- Add the sugars, oil and vanilla and beat until blended well, about 1 minute. Add zucchini and beat until all ingredients are mixed together.
- Turn off mixer. Add the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder and chocolate chips. Mix on low just until flour disappears and is no longer visible.
- Pour the mixture into a 9x13 pan. Set timer for 35 minutes and bake until cake springs back when touched lightly, or when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let set on counter to cook for about 15-30 minutes.
- Cut into squares, serve with ice cream and sprinkle top with powdered sugar just before serving.
-This cake may take longer than 35 minutes in your oven. -The cake may be frosted, but I think a dusting of powdered sugar is perfect and not overly sweet, and it can be served warm if it is not frosted!-This cake may also be baked in two 8 inch round cake pans. 20-25 minutes bake time.
Courses quick and easy dessert