Comfort food is the best kind of food. Especially when it’s homemade. What’s better than mac and cheese on a cold and dreary day? How about White Cheddar Mac and Cheese?? Comfort food at its very best.
I was hooked when I took my first bite of Tillamook Vintage Extra Sharp White Cheddar after a visit to Tillamook, OR a couple of years ago. I knew then it was my duty to make a White Cheddar Mac and Cheese to post on ABK. Simple, creamy, rich and filling. I need to finish this post so I can warm up a plate…
This recipe is easily made and served with a green salad or a bit of steamed broccoli.
I mean, really now.
What’s better than pasta blanketed in cheese.
The answer is NOTHING.
PS if you’re looking for other amazing mac and cheese recipes, take a peek at these recipes on ABK.
Sheri’s Creamy Southern Mac and Cheese (most requested side dish at family parties), Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Spinach, (if you want to get fancy) Alton Brown’s Baked Mac and Cheese (really good mac and cheese with a nice panko topping).
White Cheddar Mac and Cheese
Yield 12 servings
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4-5 cups Sharp White Cheddar or Medium Cheddar, grated (plus additional 1/2 cup for top)
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 quart whole milk or half and half
- 1 cup milk to thin sauce, if necessary
- 1 lb macaroni, cooked al dente, drained
- Grease a large casserole dish or two 9-10 inch round dishes.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add flour when butter is melted and whisk until all lumps disappear.
- Turn heat to medium. Add salt and pepper.
- Slowly pour in milk or half and half. Cook until mixture thickens a bit, about 5 minutes.
- Add grated cheeses. Stir so the cheese is incorporated. The sauce should be smooth.
- Taste to see if more salt or pepper are needed.
- Pour the macaroni into the pan, or place the pasta into the pans.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta.
- Top with additional grated cheese.
- Bake on upper rack at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.