Last night I was in the mood for a cookie. But wanted to make something new and out of the ordinary. I looked in the pantry. Found some coconut and caramel. Walked out of the pantry and started to snack on a pretzel just as I was thinking about the missing third ingredient. Boom. That’s how this cookie was born.
It’s a coconut and caramel lover’s dream. Coconut in the dough, as well as on top of the caramel covered hunk of goodness. This cookie is loaded with flavors that will satisfy your sweet tooth but also satisfy your salt craving! The caramel topping totally makes this cookie amazing. I prefer Peter’s Caramel. It melts better than individual caramels, and will keep on the shelf in your pantry for at least a year. If you have Amazon Prime, it can be on you doorstep tomorrow.
Caramel-Covered Coconut Pretzel Cookies
Yield 18 cookies
- 1 cup butter softened for about 12-15 seconds in microwave
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 cup coconut, sweetened flaked
- 1 1/2 cups salted pretzels ( preferable not stick shaped)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of Peter's Caramel*
- additional coconut for sprinkling on top
- Turn the oven to 375 degrees convection or regular bake.
- Prepare 3 jelly roll pans by lining with parchment paper or grease lightly with cooking spray.
- Cream butter and sugars together in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer.
- Using low speed, add eggs, one at a time, until blended well. Add vanilla. Turn off mixer.
- Add coconut and pretzels to mixing bowl. Turn speed to medium and blend just until pretzels are broken up a bit, about 10 seconds.
- Turn off mixer. Add flour, baking soda and salt all at once.
- Turn mixer on low speed mix just until flour disappears and all ingredients are incorporated. Use a spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and fold into dough.
- Turn the mixer on for a few seconds to give the batter another mixing on low speed.
- Using a large scoop (mine is about 2 1/4 inches) scoop the batter out onto baking sheets. About 18 balls of dough, 6 per sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 8-9 minutes convection or about 12 minutes regular bake. Bake just until cookie forms a light crust on top and are no longer wet looking. This will vary according to your oven.
- Remove from oven and let cool, if the cookies are mis shaped, use a small spatula to push the edges of the cookie in to form a circular shape. This must be done immediately after removing from oven.
- After cookies have been removed from oven, melt the caramel in the microwave for about 25 seconds in a bowl.
- Use a spoon and drizzle on top of cookies, sprinkle with additional coconut while caramel is still warm.
-If you don't have access to Peters Caramel, you may use Kraft Caramels. Melt about 3/4 of one package with 2-3 tablespoons milk in the microwave or a double boiler just until melted and smooth.