Black Bean Chicken Taco Salad
- 3 chicken breast halves or about 4 cups cooked chicken
- 8-10 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 15 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2-3 to matoes chopped
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1/2 bunch cilantro chopped
- Cheddar or Jack cheese grated
- 1 lime half for chicken, half for dressing
- Tortilla chips
Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing:
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 bunch cilantro washed and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Taco seasoning
- juice from half of one lime
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- fresh ground pepper
Cooking Light recipe:
Lime Vinaigrette: (Lower in fat, great flavor)
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Cider Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lime rind grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 4 Tablespoons mayo optional, but necessary in my opinion
Season chicken with salt and pepper, squeeze juice from lime onto chicken. Cook in oven under broiler for about 8-10 minutes, depending on thickness of meat. Remove, and let cool, then slice and set aside. If the weather is nice enough , grilling this on the bbq is best.
Combine salad ingredients into large bowl. Toss with cooled chicken. Add desired amount of cheese and tortilla chips.
Combine all dressing ingredients into blender or bowl, and whisk or blend until smooth.
=Unless the salad is being served and eaten all at one sitting, I toss the chips, cheese and dressing with each individual serving.
-Great with a half bag of frozen corn, thawed, or chopped bell peppers or sliced olives.
-Sometimes, I substitute sour cream for the mayo, or add 1/2 block (4 oz) of softened cream cheese to the dressing. In this case, I just add a little more garlic salt and taco seasoning.