For one, Stephen returned home from his mission to Puebla in March. That deserves its own post (later). Here’s a little glimpse of the “most wonderful day, ever” .
Brookie graduated from the U. Two college graduates. Check.
All good stuff. Just not a lot of blogging time.
Alrightly. The Mother’s Day Menu 2013:
Salad number one. Loved this recipe. All of the main ingredients are my favorites alone, but this combo is one of those “match made in heaven” deals. Creamy Roquefort cheese, soft butter lettuce, toasted sweetened walnuts, dried cranberries, a crunchy apple, and bacon.
Your mom is going to love this.
Cape Cod Chopped Salad and promises
- 8 ounces thick-cut bacon
- 12 ounces baby arugula or butter lettuce
- 1 large apple I like Gala or Granny Smith, skin on, sliced thin
- 1 cup toasted walnut halves 1 tablespoons sugar if desired
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 6 ounces blue cheese such as Roquefort, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place walnut halves on lined baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes or until fragrant. If desired, sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon of sugar right after removing from oven.
Remove bacon from package, keeping bacon in one slab, lay on cutting board and slice into 1 inch thick slices. Fry in non stick pan over medium high heat, separating pieces as you cook. When bacon is cooked and crispy , remove from heat. Remove bacon from pan with slotted spoon onto a paper towel lined plate. Set aside.
For the dressing, whisk together the vinegar, orange zest, orange juice, mustard, maple syrup, 1 teaspoon salt, and the pepper in a bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil.
In a large bowl, toss together the greens, apple, walnuts, cranberries, bacon and blue cheese.
When ready to serve, toss all salad ingredients with just enough dressing to lightly coat leaves of lettuce.
Toss the salad with just enough dressing to moisten. Serve immediately.
Serves approximately 6 as a side salad.