Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips regular or mini’s I like minis
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 drops mint extract or more to taste
- 3 1/2 teaspoons cream half and half or milk (cream is best)
- crushed candy canes for topping cookies
For the cookies:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. I use the convection bake setting. If you are not using convection, you may have to bake these for a total of about 10-12 minutes or until barely set*.
In a medium bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In a mixer beat together the butter with the sugars until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating until smooth after each addition and scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add vanilla. On a low speed beat in the flour mixture a little at a time. Gently mix in chocolate chips.
On an ungreased cookie sheet, drop teaspoons of the batter about 2 inches apart. Bake until just cracked on top, about 8 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the cooking time. Flatten the cookies slightly with a spatula after removing from oven. Cool completely.
For the glaze:
In a small bowl mix together the sugar; mint extract and cream until smooth. Transfer mixture to a medium resealable plastic bag and snip off a tiny bit of the corner. Drizzle glaze over cooled cookies. Let cookies stand until set, about 10-20 minutes.
If desired, before glaze sets, sprinkle with chopped mint candy.
-I add the dry ingredients all at once, with the chocolate chips. I do this on all chocolate chip cookies, it helps keep the chocolate from sinking to the bottom of the cookie.-*Do not over bake. Let the cookies cool completely before glazing. They will continue to cook and set up a bit after removing from the oven.