“Meatloaf, smeatloaf, double-beatloaf. I hate meatloaf.” Every time I tell my kids we are having meatloaf for dinner, one of my boys recites this quote from the movie “A Christmas Story”. Actually, the boys like meatloaf. I was never a big fan, until I tried this recipe. I found it in a cookbook a few years back. Last week, fall was in the air, so I mixed up a couple of loaves. It is always moist, and goes well with rice or potatoes and green veggies for an easy dinner.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped onion if omitting green pepper, use 1 cup onion
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper optional
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 8 ounces canned diced tomatoes with juice
- ½ cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Mix all meat loaf ingredients well and place in a baking dish. Shape into a loaf.
Mix ingredients for topping and spread on loaf.Bake for 1 hour.
After removing from oven, run a table knife around the edges. Let sit for about 5-10 minutes, then remove from pan and serve immediately.