4:00 AM- Birds chirping. Right outside my window. Most normal people would just roll over and go back to sleep. Not me. I’ve tried a pillow over my head, earplugs, meditation, medication…then my thoughts turn to – Where is Jacob’s Airsoft gun ? Would an Airsoft gun put an end to the sounds of spring? I look out the window, could that be ONE BIRD??? It sounds like the entire Tracy Aviary.
4:30 – Maybe I should find the BB gun. My window is right next to the tree where the chirping OLYMPICS take place every morning. I’m so, so tired. I have to get up at 5:00. I mean, isn’t there any etiquette birds have to follow about making noise before the sun is completely up? Please.
Have you seen the movie “Failure to Launch” remember the roommate of Sarah Jessica Parker? She had a bird chirping problem too. When I saw that movie – I thought THAT’S ME!!! Anyway. In a few months, they’ll migrate, or do whatever it is birds do, and the torture will end. Until then, I just have to get used to it. Like I have for the past 15 years. I am loving the nicer weather though…Two days in a row of 70+ degrees … it must be salad time!
Michelle King’s Wonton Salad
- 4 chicken breast halves baked or bbq with salt and pepper
- 1 head red leaf lettuce I use 3 heads red lettuce total
- 1 head iceberg lettuce omit
- 1 head ruffled lettuce omit
- 2 tomatoes diced (omit, I substitute 3 cans of mandarin oranges, drained)
- 2 cucumbers seeded and diced
- 2 handfuls sprouts omit
- 2 packages mushrooms sliced, optional
- 2 cans water chestnuts drained, sliced and cut into matchstick pieces
- 2 bunches green onions chopped green parts only
- 3/4 package wonton skins or wrappers deep fried, broken into pieces
- toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar to taste
- 1/2 cup Olive oil or canola
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup Cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water only use if using olive oil, to thin dressing
For the Salad:
Wash, and chop all lettuce. Add all of the remaining vegetables and fruit. Add chicken and toss all salad ingredients, except wontons in a large bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Add dressing and wontons just before serving.
For the Dressing:
Mix all ingredients in blender or shaker. Do not refrigerate before using. If refrigerating leftover dressing, bring to room temp before tossing on salad.
-You may use Canola oil in place of Olive oil, if desired.
-If you don’t have any Rice vinegar, substitute all Cider vinegar.
-If you don’t want the hassle or smell of frying wontons, go to a chinese restaurant, and buy an order (or two) of fried wontons.