buttermilk biscuits or simple cornbread muffins while the soup is cooking. Vegetarian Minestrone Soup is a combo of some of my favorite Minestrone recipes. Dinner doesn’t get much easier than this. Remember that “New Beginnings: College and Missionary Meals” category? This one qualifies.
Vegetarian Minestrone Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped (yellow or sweet)
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon each salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 14 oz can vegetable OR chicken stock if you aren't concerned about going meatless (check to make sure it's MSG free)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup "ditalini" pasta or other small pasta shape
- 2 cups chopped zucchini or fresh spinach optional*
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1- 15 oz can Great Northern beans drained
- 1 tablespoon basil dried
- additional water if needed
Using a large, heavy stock pot,saute onion and carrots in olive oil on medium heat about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook for another minute.
Season with salt and pepper.
Add fresh tomatoes, fresh zucchini or spinach, chicken stock, and water. Bring to boil. Add pasta and cook for 7-9 minutes until al dente.
Stir in tomato paste, beans and basil. Cook just until combined.
If needed, add a little more water to the soup.
Serve immediately with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
Serves about 4-6.
*I add a variety of vegetables to this soup. Adding one to two cups of whatever is in your fridge, such as zucchini, other squash, spinach works well.