You know that salad that shows up at every potluck? The one with broccoli, sunflower seeds, bacon and a coleslaw dressing? I like it, but it’s a little heavy on green for some of my fam (code for the boys). This salad is a twist on that old favorite. I opted out of the bacon and didn’t miss it a bit. Make sure to give the sunflower seeds a try. The original Southern Living recipe calls for pecans, but I thought staying with the original idea of broccoli and sunflower seeds would be a nice combo and I loved the end result. If you’re looking for a newbie to take to your next bbq, give this recipe a try. You’re going to love it.
Broccoli, Grape and Pasta Salad
- 1- 1 lb package farfalle (bow tie shaped) or other pasta
- 3/4 pound fresh broccoli, blanched if desired
- 2 cups seedless red grapes
- 8 cooked bacon slices, crumbled (optional)
- 3/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup light mayonnaise ( I like Best Foods or Hellman's)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 cup red wine or cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Cut broccoli into bite size pieces.
- Wash grapes and leave whole, or if desired, cut in half.
- Whisk together mayonnaise and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Separate about half of the dressing and set aside in small bowl or cup, cover and set in refrigerator. Add broccoli, cooked pasta, and grapes to bowl with remaining dressing. Stir to coat pasta, broccoli and grapes. Cover and chill 3 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, add remaining dressing and bacon (if using) and toss. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds just before serving.