My mom in law introduced me to tomato toast years ago. Her favorite breakfasts are: a Diet Coke and a brownie, or a Diet Coke an a piece of tomato toast. So I guess you can say this is an old family recipe
Whenever I can get my hands on tomatoes out of the garden, I make tomato toast. Jake and I make entire meals out of this. He eats four or five, I eat two. If my baby will eat this, maybe yours will too…
Essentials: Fresh tomatoes, mayo, fresh ground pepper, and preferably, kosher salt. It seems silly to post a recipe, but I decided this qualifies as a meal under our SeriouslySimple and New Beginningscollege and missionary meal category.
Hey, don’t knock it till you’ve tried it. WAAAAY better than ramen.
Now this is loving your neighbor. Sharing tomatoes. Thanks Susan
- 1 fresh garden tomato
- Best Foods or Hellman's mayo*
- fresh ground pepper
- dense whole wheat bread (my local fave is Aspen Mills)
- Slice the tomato, thick, about ¼ inch slices.
- Toast the bread.
- Spread mayo over bread as soon as it comes out of the toaster.
- Lay on two to four thick slices of tomato, depending on size of tomato.
- Top generously with fresh ground pepper and salt.