I’ve been making ginger cookies for years. Let’s just say A Bountiful Kitchen has covered more than it’s fair share of ginger cookie testing. I have all varieties on my blog, famous Frosted Gingerbread Cookies with Buttercream Frosting from Cutler’s Bakery in Bountiful (not a copycat, recipe straight from Curt Cutler himself), Gingersnaps, so crisp and snappy you can stack them high on a plate. Want a Soft Gingersnap Cookie topped with sugar? Check. I love the Chocolate Ginger Cookie from last year… Oh can’t forget the traditional shaped Lemon Gingerbread Cookies or Melinda’s Gingercream Cookies with Brown Butter Icing ! The ginger cookie I made for years, without fail, and received recipe request after request is my Giant Ginger Cookie. Still love it.
A few years ago, my friend Laurie, who is famous for her Amazing Chocolate Cake, made some white chocolate dipped ginger cookies and brought them to a cookie exchange. I loved the combination of ginger and white chocolate in a cookie! I didn’t ever get the recipe from Laurie, so I used a recipe I’ve been working on for a butter based ginger cookie and then simply dipped my cookies into melted white chocolate when cooled.
This is a cookie you’ll want to put on your Christmas baking list year after year. These cookies stay soft and chewy for days. Really, for days! I left a few out on my counter overnight and they did not dry out. Oncovered. In the dry desert 🙂 Several days after being dipped… still soft and chewy. Hope you enjoy these soft and chewy cookies on your holiday cookie platter!
White Chocolate Dipped Chewy Ginger Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- white chocolate for dipping cookies, about 2 cups
- Beat butter and sugars until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in eggs and molasses.
- Add the flour and rest of the ingredients and mix just until the flour disappears and all ingredients are incorporated on low speed or by hand.
- Using a 2 inch cookie scoop, or spoon, scoop the dough out into balls and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, or lightly greased.
- Place 6 cookies per pan.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and bake for about 10-12 minutes until cookies are set and a top crust has formed.
- Cool completely.
- When ready to dip, melt the white chocolate in a bowl over a double boiler on stove or in microwave.
- If using microwave, heat for about 30 seconds at a time, to insure the chocolate does not overheat and burn.
- Stir with spoon, heat just until chocolate melts.
- Using a spoon, spread the melted white chocolate over half of the top of cookie.
- Place on parchment paper or wax paper until chocolate is set and firm.