Nothing satisfies a craving for a home cooked meal quite like comfort food. The best meal time comfort foods are warm, creamy, cheesy and filling. Aunt Sheri’s Chicken Lasagna is all of the above. It’s comfort food at its very best!
My sister-in-law, Sheri, first made this dish for us years ago, and it has been a family favorite since. When my kids were growing up, it was a meal I made often when I had to take dinner to a neighbor. I always made a double batch (sometimes a triple batch). Aunt Sheri’s Chicken Lasagna always was, and still is, a hit in our home. This dish is the quintessential comfort meal – a meal you would have been served back in your grandparents era when there was not a thought given to calories and fat content!
Chicken Lasagna is creamy and filling and loaded with cheese. It’s similar to lasagne because of the way it is layered. This dish also has many of the same staple ingredients in traditional lasagne: cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, parmesan, eggs and pasta.
The recipe calls for layering, but placing the ingredients together in a large bowl and gently folding also produces a great result.
I love this dish for make ahead in the slow cooker. All of the ingredients may be prepared early in the day, or the night before. Then simply layer in the slow cooker and plug in. Directions for cooking in slow cooker on recipe notes. Aunt Sheri’s Chicken Lasagna is the perfect meal for so many occasions: Sunday dinner, new baby, new neighbors, cold nights… I know this is going to become a favorite in your home too.
- 1- 12 oz package of wide egg noodles (cooked al dente)
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups cooked chopped chicken
- 1 24 oz container cottage cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2-3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cups grated parmesan cheese
- additional sprinkle of pepper and chopped fresh or dried parsley for garnish, if desired
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium to medium high heat. Add flour, salt, pepper, dried basil and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk chicken broth into flour and butter mixture, about a cup at a time, until mixture is thickened.
- Turn down heat and add chicken.
- Turn off heat.
- Mix cottage cheese and egg together in a medium bowl.
- Mix cheeses together in small bowl.
- Layer the ingredients together in this order in a greased 9x13 pan:
- one third-chicken mixture
- one half- pasta
- one half- cottage cheese mixture
- one third- mozzarella mixture
- one third- chicken mixture
- one half- pasta
- one half-cottage cheese
- one third- mozzarella
- one third chicken mixture
- one third- mozzarella on top
- If layering is too complicated, see notes for simplified version!
- Bake at 350 degrees uncovered for 35-45 minutes or until golden on top and bubbly.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley or basil and a sprinkle of pepper.
-Quick option for assembly: Instead of layering the ingredients as you would for a lasagne (and as directed in the recipe), gently fold all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Reserve a cup of the mozzarella cheese and about ¼ cup of the Parmesan cheese. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Top with the reserved cheeses. Bake as directed.
-Slowcooker directions: Layer all ingredients in a greased slow cooker. Cook on low for about 3-4 hours or until bubbly. If the ingredients are taken from the fridge, after being prepared earlier, the cooking time will be closer to 4 hours. If you're making the layers and then immediately placing in the slow cooker, the ingredients will already be warm and the cooking time will most likely be closer to 3 hours.