Made these last week.
Over 2 pounds of chocolate (actually, almost 3 lbs) in one recipe. That’s why.
If these don’t satisfy your chocolate craving, I don’t know what will.
Barefoot Contessa Outrageous Brownies with Ganache Frosting
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 1 pound plus 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 6 extra-large eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant coffee granules I used decaf
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 9 oz. Semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place all ingredients in saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until melted and combined. Pour over brownies after brownies are cooled slightly. Let sit for about 1 hour or in refrigerator until set, then cut and serve.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Butter and flour a 12 x 18 x 1-inch baking sheet.
Melt together the butter, 1 pound of chocolate chips, and the unsweetened chocolate in a medium bowl over simmering water. Allow to cool slightly. In a large bowl, stir (do not beat) together the eggs, coffee granules, vanilla, and sugar. Stir the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.
In a medium bowl, sift together 2 cups of flour, the baking powder, and salt. Add to the cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the remaining 1/4 cup flour and 12 ounces of chocolate chips in a medium bowl, then add to the chocolate batter. Pour into the baking sheet.
Bake for 20 minutes, then rap the baking sheet against the oven shelf to force the air to escape from between the pan and the brownie dough. Bake for about 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not over bake!
-The original recipe calls for 3 cups chopped walnuts or pecans and 1 1/4 cups flour.-These freeze well. Cut and wrap in Ziploc bags on paper plates. They will keep for up to two months in the freezer.