were a means of helping them on their journey. Today, youth and adults seek to grasp the
spirit of faith, courage and determination these pioneers represented. Youth and leaders dress in pioneer clothing, divide into trek families of 8-12 people and pull handcarts on and off dirt roads for about 20-25 miles. Some pull handcarts over the original pioneer trail; others pull handcarts on land in their areas. No matter where they are, all who participate open themselves to having their hearts touched by the pioneers’ sacrifices and testimonies of the Savior.
- 1 pkg zesty Italian dressing mix as directed: 1/4 c vinegar, 3 T water, 1/2 c oil
- 3 ears of corn cooked, cooled and cut of the cob
- 1 can white corn drained
- 1 can black-eyed peas drained*
- 2 avocados diced
- 3 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1/2 c green onions chopped
- 1/2 c fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 limes juiced
Mix Italian dressing as directed on package in a large bowl using a wire whisk. Add all other ingredients and stir gently until combined. Cover and refrigerate. Best made the day before, flavor increases over time.
Really yummy with fresh corn, in season now.
– I was unable to find canned black eyed peas so I soaked and cooked dried black eyed peas, according to directions on back of package. Use about 2 cups (after cooking). You need to start this step the day before. I’m sure canned black beans (rinsed and drained) would be a good sub.