Dorie’s Chewy, Chunky Blondies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks 8 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped into chips, or 1 cup store-bought chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips or Heath Toffee Bits I used Toffee Bits
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 9×13-inch baking pan and put it on a baking sheet.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Beat the butter on medium speed in a large bowl until smooth and creamy. Add both sugars and beat for another 3 minutes, or until well incorporated. Add the eggs one by one, beating for 1 minute after each addition, then beat in the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients, mixing just until they disappear into the batter. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the chips, nuts and coconut. Scrape the batter into the buttered pan .
Bake for about 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the Blondie comes out clean. The blondies should pull away from the sides of the pan a little and the top golden brown.
-I lined the pan with foil, then sprayed with cooking spray. After the bars were baked, I waited about 10 minutes, then lifted the whole pan out, and finished cooling.