One of my favorite sandwiches is found at the Desert Edge Brewery ( aka”The Pub”) in Trolley Square. It’s a favorite spot to gather before UTE games, and a tried and true lunch spot. Always decent food and reasonable prices. And refillable fountain soda. Important to certain lunch partners, who will remain nameless.
The pasta salads are good here, and I’m always happy with either the half Turkey Avocado with pasta of the day, or my fave- the Salmon Sandwich with pickled ginger-cucumber slaw, black bean relish and garlic mayo. Last week, I cooked up a few salmon fillets, sent to us by our dear friends the Primos. Delicious. Looked around in my fridge for something to serve on the side. Thought of the sandwich at Desert Edge, pulled out the following: 1/4 head of cabbage, a ripe mango, piece of ginger and a red onion. Mixed/chopped/cooked this slaw in a matter of about 5 minutes. Perfect side with salmon. Loved the ginger/ mango combo.
You know what’s coming.
You’re gonna love it too.
Ginger Mango Slaw
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled, then chopped or grated
- 1 tablespoon Mirin (Sweet Rice Vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon White Balsamic or Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 mango, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a fry pan over medium high heat. Add chopped cabbage, stir just until limp, about 2-3 minutes. Add fresh ginger and cook for about another minute. Add Mirin and vinegar. Remove from heat. Add chopped mango and red onion. Serve immediately, or later at room temperature.
- Double to feed 4 as a side dish.