Kari’s Healthy Tortilla Soup
- 2 cups dried beans black beans, pinto beans, small white beans,black eyed peas or a mixture or
- 2-16 oz canned beans
- ½ medium size sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 6 carrots
- 8 stalks celery
- ½ medium size sweet onion reserved from step above
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 large (28 ocan diced tomatoes
- 1 small bag frozen corn
- 1 large container ready to serve fresh salsa
- 2 cooked chopped chicken breasts optional
- 1 medium can refried beans optional
Serve with any combination of:
- Tortilla chips
- Pepper Jack Cheese cubed or grated
- Sour Cream
The day or night before serving: Soak beans in 8 cups of water all day. Drain water. Chop onion. Cook the beans, seasonings, 6 cups of water, and ½ the onion in the Crock pot with the temperature set to “high” overnight.
Chop carrots and celery, and other half of onion used in slow cooker.Place in a gallon storage bag. Add seasonings and refrigerate overnight.
You can add the carrots/celery/onion along with 4 cups of water to the beans in the Crockpot and cook on low during the day, or cook in 4 cups of water in a pot on the stove for approximately 20 minutes from the time the pot boils.
About an hour before you are ready to serve, add diced tomatoes, corn, salsa, chicken and refried beans. Serve with toppings.