Soup for the Soul
A fraction of the time, but all the flavor
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup: the perfect fall meal
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Nothing is easier than Classic Chicken Noodle Soup in the Instant Pot! Using the Instant Pot cuts the cooking time of the chicken in half while tenderizing the meat so it falls off the bone.
- 4-5 chicken thighs seasoned with sea salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter (no margarine)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups carrots chopped* see notes
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 2 cups onion chopped
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon course ground pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 8 oz wide egg noodles
- 2 packages Knorr Homestyle Chicken Stock concentrate *see recipe notes
- parsley, fresh chopped or dried
Turn Instant Pot to SAUTE setting. When pot is heated up, or after about 4-5 minutes, add 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter to pot. Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper on both sides.
Carefully place chicken thighs in the pre-heated Instant Pot. Cook for 3 minutes and then carefully turn the chicken over. Cook for an additional 3 minutes and sprinkle with dried thyme.
Remove chicken from the Instant Pot and add chopped carrots, celery and onion to the pot (there will be residual oil and seasonings in the bottom of the pot. Do not wash or wipe out. Sauté the vegetables for 2 minutes (just long enough to coat with drippings and begin to brown a bit).
Add 2 cups cold water, chopped garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and browned chicken back into the Instant Pot. Set Instant Pot to the MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK or HIGH PRESSURE setting, placing timer to 6 minutes. Make sure the plastic seal is in place inside of the lid before placing lid on the Instant Pot and the valve on top of the lid is set to the SEALING position.
After the timer goes off, carefully release the steam from the Instant Pot using the VENTING position on the lid. Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and set on plate or cutting board.
Add 4 cups chicken broth plus 2 additional cups of water to the Instant Pot. Change the setting to the SAUTE setting and bring the contents of the pot to a boil. Add 8 oz pasta to the pot and cook according to package directions.
While the pasta is cooking, shred or chop the chicken and discard any bones and skin remaining. After pasta is cooked, add chopped chicken and two packages homestyle chicken stock* (or chicken bullion or other chicken flavoring) to the soup to taste. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with fresh or dried parsley.
- If you like creamy chicken noodle soup, add about 2 tablespoons cornstarch to 1/2 cup of water and mix until smooth. Add to the finished soup while broth is hot. Stir well.
- I like to add sautéed mushrooms to this soup as well. I sauté the mushroom in butter in a separate pan and add at the very end just before serving.
- If using bagged baby carrots, no need to chop the carrots, I just put them in whole.
- If the soup seems a little skimpy on the broth, simply add a bit more chicken broth.
- I like to use Knorr brand "Homestyle Chicken Stock" which is sold in little mini tubs (4 to a package) or the "Better than Bullion" brand stock concentrate.