If the Instant Pot isn’t already your new best friend, it will be after you try this recipe for Instant Pot Salsa Chicken! Here’s why: It’s quick. It’s easy. And EVERYONE in the family is going to love it!
This recipe for Instant Pot Salsa Chicken was developed after my slow cookers were relegated to the back of our storage closet. One of our family favorite recipes is Southwest Slow Cooker Chicken. I love this meal because it feeds a crowd and everyone loves it! Instant Pot Salsa Chicken is basically the same recipe, without the cream cheese. I you prefer cream cheese, just throw a block in after the chicken has been cooked and shredded.
I used to use the slow cooker once a week, especially in the winter months, but the Instant Pot has changed the way I cook. Using the Instant Pot has made life so much easier, no planning in the morning so food cooks all day, I can decide what we are eating at 5, throw it all in the pot and dinner is ready by 6. Meals that used to take hours in the slow cooker are ready in an hour in the Instant Pot.
This meal is perfect for so many situations! Weeknight quick and easy meals, large gatherings where you’re trying to please the likes of toddlers up to grandparents. Instant Pot Salsa Chicken can easily be doubled in the Instant Pot. If you just need chicken filling for quesadillas or an enchilada, cook the chicken with the salsa, shred and you’re ready to go! I’ve pre-cooked chicken for many recipes using the Instant Pot. I shred or chop the meat and then stored in quart ziplock bags and freeze until ready to use. This makes dinner on busy nights so simple.
There are lots of options when serving this recipe. I like to serve it with chips, salsa, fresh tortillas (grilled), grated cheese, chopped lettuce and tomato, guac, and sour cream. I set everything out buffet style and let everyone make their own plate. Kids especially seem to love this! If you’re making quick dinner, and eating in shifts, choose what’s easy and assemble al of the topping ingredients onto one sheet pan that can easily be removed from the fridge when needed. Hope you love this quick and easy dinner in the Instant Pot!
- 2.5-3 lbs chicken breasts, trimmed of fat, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup prepared green salsa, any brand
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup frozen corn (do not thaw)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 2 -3 cups grated cheese, cheddar, jack or a combination
- tortillas, chips, lettuce, tomatoes, guac, sour cream, cilantro for serving
- Place the chicken into the Instant Pot and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Pour 1 cup green salsa over the top of the chicken.
- Place lid on the Instant Pot, making sure the sealing ring is in place inside of the lid.
- Lock the lid into position and set the timer for 10 minutes on the manual setting, or 10 minutes poultry if you do not have a manual setting. If the chicken is frozen, cook for 12 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, let the chicken sit for 10-15 minutes and allow the pressure to natural release. After this time, turn the dial to steam release and allow the extra steam to release, or let the chicken sit in the pot for up to an hour until you are ready to finish up the dish.
- Remove the lid and place the chicken on a cutting board and chop. If you would like to shred the chicken, pour off the liquid and measure to 1½ cups liquid, discard the rest of liquid.
- Place the chicken and the 1½ cups liquid into the pot and turn a hand mixer on low. The chicken will shred easily.
- Add the frozen corn, can of black beans and grated cheese to the pot.
- Turn the Instant Pot to the Warm setting and secure the lid, or turn the pot on for 5 additional minutes on manual. When the timer goes off, manually release the pressure.
- The warm setting may be used for several hours to keep food warm.