We had Italian Oven Fries at River’s Run last time we visited Mary and Will in Mississippi. I use this recipe when I’m short on time and want to whittle away at the 50 lb bag of Idaho potatoes in
my garage. It’s a quick, kid friendly side dish that goes with almost any meal. YUM.
Baked Italian Fries
- 6 or 7 Idaho Russet potatoes peeled and sliced into 1/3-inch-thick French fry-style strips, soaked in cold water
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cuextra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs or some combo of dried oregano thyme, marjoram, and basil
- 2 cups freshly grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 sticsalted butter cut into cubes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400* degrees.
Drain the potatoes and pat dry with paper towels. Spread 1 tablespoon of the olive oil on each of 2 rimmed baking sheets and spread out the potatoes. Overlapping is fine.
Sprinkle the dried herbs evenly over the potatoes. Liberally spread the cheese and parsley on top. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the cheese. Scatter the cubed butter around the pans.
Bake until the potatoes are golden brown, rotating the pans after 30 minutes, for 45 to 50 minutes total. Use a spatula to lift off the potatoes with all the crusty cheese adhered to them. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
Potato Prep: For a French-fry cut, peel the potatoes and slice lengthwise into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Stack the slices on top of one another, a few at a time, and slice lengthwise into 1/3-inch-thick strips. Peeled and sliced potatoes can turn brown pretty quickly. To avoid this, try floating the peeled, cut pieces in cold, salted water. When you’re ready to cook, drain them and pat dry.
-Soaking the potatoes in water is not necessary if you are in a hurry. I have made this recipe several times and skipped this step.
-You may also skip the peeling step. Just scrub the potatoes clean before slicing.
-* I turn the oven to 425 convection and bake them for about 20 minutes total.
One thought on “Italian Oven Fries”
Mmm.. these are not bad at all! So nice and crispy. Well done X