My dear friend Diane made these scrumptious (don’t you love that word) Mini Corn Bread Crab Cakes with Creamy Lemon Sauce for our Recipe Club group last year at our holiday dinner. Diane is a great cook. Always up for trying something new. She is one of the few people I know who actually makes recipes out of “Cooking Light” magazine. She has a talent for finding good recipes that are low fat. I’m not a big fan of low fat, but I LOVE this recipe. I made these last year for a family party. The adults were shooing the kids away, and directing them to eat the store bought cheese ball, instead of our yummy crab cakes. The only thing I would do differently next time I make Cornbread Crab Cakes is – DOUBLE the recipe.
Mini Corn Bread Crab Cakes with Creamy Lemon sauce
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise I used Regular Best Foods Mayo
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon capers drained and chopped ( optional, in my opinion)
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1/8 teaspoon minced garlic
- Dash of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2/3 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise or regular
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 2 cups crumbled Corn Bread
- 1 pound lump crab meat shell pieces removed
- Cooking spray
Fresh chives (optional)Cornbread:
- You can bake the cornbread a couple of days in advance, and save 2 cups for making crab cakes.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
In a bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
With a fork, beat buttermilk, oil and eggs to blend. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients; mix just to moisten. Pour into an 8-inch square or 9-inch-wide round greased cake pan.
Bake in a 400° oven until bread springs back when gently pressed in center, 20 minutes.
Combine first 8 ingredients; chill.
Preheat oven to 400°.
To prepare crab cakes, heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, bell pepper, and garlic to pan; saute 3 minutes. Remove from heat; cool. Combine bell pepper mixture, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, and next 6 ingredients (through Old Bay); stir in egg. Fold in Buttermilk Corn Bread and crab meat. Scoop mixture into 16 portions (about 1/4 cup each) onto 2 baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Lightly cover, and refrigerate 1 hour. Uncover and bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from baking sheet with a metal spatula. Serve with sauce. Garnish with chives.