I’ve been making this recipe forever. With twist here and there. Sometimes I use pineapple and mashed banana, other times pineapple and applesauce. Last week, I had a few mangoes sitting on my counter, getting close to the too-ripe stage.The ripe mangoes were perfect for baking, and for my newest combo- Pineapple-Mango Breakfast Muffins. A great fit for breakfast because of the fruit and yogurt, and not too much sugar… so you can eat a muffin without the guilt.Because none of us need a helping of guilt to start the day, do we?Have a great day 🙂
Pineapple Mango Breakfast Muffins
- 1 cup white flour
- 3/4 cup wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar if you like your muffins sweeter, increase this to 1/2 cup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-8 oz can crushed pineapple drained
- 1 large ripe mango important that it is ripe and sweet, pitted, peeled and diced
- 7-8 oz plain or vanilla yogurt I used Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- additional sugar about one tablespoon for top of muffin, if desired
Preheat oven to 400 with rack in center of oven.
Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, place drained pineapple, diced mango, yogurt, eggs and oil in the well. Or just mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl, then pour all at once into the dry ingredients. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry, just until the flour disappears. Do not over mix.
Scoop the batter into a muffin tin that has been greased or lined with cupcake liners. Fill muffin tins about 3/4 full. Sprinkle with sugar if desired.
Bake for about 15-18 minutes or until tops are golden and muffin springs back when touched lightly.
Makes approximately 10-12 muffins.