- 2 whole chicken breasts or 4 chicken breast halves
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 1-2 cloves garlic crushed or minced
- Juice and pulp of 1 lime
- 2 large 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 14 oz cans chicken broth
- 1 small 10-12 oz package frozen sweet white corn or yellow corn
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- additional cilantro sour cream, grated cheese, tortilla chips for serving
Place olive oil and chicken in a dutch oven or large pot over medium to medium high heat.
Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Cook for about 8-10 minutes, covered.
When chicken is done, reduce heat to medium and add minced garlic and cook for another minute.
Remove chicken from pot and shred or chop into chunks.
Place chicken back in pot, squeeze lime juice over chicken.
Add rest of ingredients to chicken and let simmer until hot.
Serve with additional cilantro, sour cream, grated cheese, chopped avocado and tortilla chips.
-Slowcooker instructions:Cook the chicken on low, seasoned with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and garlic for about 3 hours, no need to add olive oil. When chicken is cooked, shred or chop. Squeeze lime juice onto chicken. Add remaining ingredients and cook on low until ready to serve. -You may use frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts without thawing. Place the chicken in a single layer in bottom of slow cooker and follow instructions above. Remove juice from slow cooker before adding other ingredients (optional). The juice may become cloudy from chicken fat and change the appearance of the soup. I usually advise to use the broth that is cooked off from the chicken, but in this recipe I don't like the way it looks in the soup.