Seared Halibut with Herbed Tomatoes
- 4- 6 oz halibut fillets 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped (sweet is best)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil I used about 1/4 cup fresh chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano I used about 1/4 cup fresh chopped
- 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes about 2 cups fresh tomatoes chopped
Cut fish into fillets. pat fish dry with paper towels. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
Cook fish in hot oil on large skillet over medium high heat about 3 minutes on each side, or until fish flakes with a fork and is opaque throughout. Do not over cook fish, or it will be dry.
Transfer fish to a serving platter, cover with foil and keep warm. Add onion and garlic to skillet, and saute 1 to 2 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in capers, basil, oregano and remaining salt.
Reduce heat to low, and stir in tomatoes. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, until heated thoroughly. Top fish with tomato-herb mixture.