Sweet Potato Salad with Orange Maple Dressing
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh peeled minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 pounds red skinned sweet potatoes yams
- 2 pounds white skinned sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup fresh parsley optional
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts toasted * (or sugared see below), coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 small Fuji apple cubed
Whisk all ingredients to blend in small bowl. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
Steam or bake potatoes until tender. Cool and peel. Slice into cubes about 3/4 inch. Transfer potatoes to large bowl. Completely cool to room temperature. Add green onions, parsley, pecans, raisins and apple. Pour dressing over salad ingredients. Toss gently to blend.
-Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
-If you want to prepare the day before: cook the potatoes, peel and chop. Prepare the dressing and store in the refrigerator until day of serving salad. Chop the green onion and parsley. Place on top of the potatoes. Refrigerate. Next day, toss all remaining ingredients.
-I like to sugar the nuts in a teflon pan. Heat the pan over medium to med high, pour the nuts into the pan, sprinkle with about 1/4 cup sugar. Stir and cook just until sugar is melted and coats the nuts. Pour onto a piece of foil, cool and sprinkle with a couple more tablespoons of sugar.