Warm Caramelized Pear and Asparagus Salad
- 2 Bosc pears – cored and cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- 1 lb of asparagus tough ends snapped off
- A handful of pecans or walnuts
- 1 tablespoon sugar optional
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Fresh spinach
- Crumbled feta cheese or goat cheese optional
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients for the vinaigrette and set aside.
In a large skillet or frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add pear wedges and cook for a minute over medium heat (turn wedges over once). Using tongs, move the pears to one side of pan. Add asparagus to pan and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add nuts and cook for another minute until the asparagus is just tender and pear is softened and browned on the edges. Remove from heat and place on top of spinach on serving platter or individual salad plates. If you would like the nuts to be sweetened, sprinkle a little sugar on top of the walnuts or pecans.
Crumble cheese on top if using. Drizzle a small amount of dressing on top of each salad.
Serves about 4-6
-Prepare all of the ingredients before starting to cook. This recipe comes together quickly and it is best to have everything ready so the salad may be served warm.
- Depending on the firmness of the pears and asparagus, cooking time may vary. You may need to turn the heat up a bit to medium-high heat to get the pear to caramelize.
-I left the cheese off and loved this salad. I think goat cheese would be best and add a little creamy tang to the salad.
-Adding sugar to the nuts is optional- I added about a teaspoon at the end of cooking.
-This salad took me less than 15 minutes to make.
-This salad is best served warm, but is also good served at room temperature.