Cutler's Gingerbread Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup margarine*
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses (Curt prefers the Grandma's brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon slat
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 1/2 cups cake flour (more if needed, so it's not too sticky)**
- Cream butter, margarine and sugar. Add egg and molasses and stir until combined.
- Mix dry ingredients together and gradually stir into the molasses mixture.
- Chill dough for about 1-2 hours. Chilling the dough makes it easier to handle if rolling dough out to make cut out cookies.
- When ready to bake, scoop the dough, using an ice cream or large cookie scoop.
- Drop onto a parchment lined baking sheet, about 6 per sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 8-10 minutes. Cookies are done when top is crackled and middle no longer looks wet or shiny.
- This dough may be used to make gingerbread men.
-*You may also use all butter, a combination of butter and margarine, or a cup of butter flavored Crisco.-If desired, roll the dough in sugar before baking.-**Cutler's uses a commercial cake flour. If you use all purpose flour, start with 4 cups of flour, and add more flour as needed to produce a dough that is not too sticky.
Cutler’s Buttercream Frosting:
1 cup butter, room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Beat the butter and the powdered sugar together until smooth in a large bowl, or a mixer with the paddle or whisk attachment. Add vanilla. Beat well. Add milk, a tablespoon at a time until the frosting is at desired consistency. Continue beating until smooth.
Frost the cooled cookies.