Cutler’s Frosted Peanut Butter Cookies are a chocolate and peanut butter cookie lover’s dream! Soft cookie with peanut butter chips, peanut butter frosting and chocolate frosting on top. It’s soft and creamy and literally melts in your mouth!
Cutler’s Cookies is a family owned shop located in Bountiful, Utah. Yes, the same Bountiful where we lived when I started this blog back in 2008! Back when this cookie was first posted, I collaborated with Curt Cutler and he taught classes in the shop and offered a class, cookie samples and a coupon for lunch for $10. Yes TEN DOLLARS. Amazing.
Make at home version of the original Cutler’s recipe
Years ago, when I approached Curt Cutler and asked if he would share his cookie recipes for posting on ABK, he generously agreed to give me Cutler’s recipes. Curt scaled down the cookie recipes for baking at home, which had not been done previously.
Update 2020: We have recently re-worked some of the Cutler’s recipes (with the help of Cutler’s) to make sure they turn out as good as the store bought cookies in your home kitchen! This recipe in particular, needs to be made with All Purpose flour for best results. We also highly recommend refrigerating the dough after shaping for at least one hour for best results!
Curt and his wife Nancy are the kindest and most generous people. The recipes for Cutler’s Cookies on ABK are not copycat recipes, they are straight from Curt and his shop! If you are in the Bountiful area, make a stop at Cutler’s and try all of their delicious treats and sandwiches. My favorite is the turkey avocado, no sauce, add mayo on white. So good!
Cutler's Frosted Peanut Butter Cookies
This peanut butter and chocolate cookie is a heavenly blend of two flavors made for each other! I dare you to find a better peanut butter and chocolate cookie anywhere.
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1/4 cups All purpose flour Curt uses cake flour in Cutler's cookies, but we found AP flour works better at home
- 1- 12 oz bag Reese's Peanut Butter chips no substitutions
Peanut Butter Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter soft-room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup peanut butter not natural
- milk to thin to proper consistency whole milk is best
- 1 cup butter soft- room temperature
- 5-6 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa or less if you like a lighter cocoa frosting
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk more milk may be needed to thin frosting
Cream together butter, sugars, salt, baking soda and powder. Add vanilla and eggs. Mix well.
Add flour and peanut butter chips. Mix just until flour and chips are blended together.
After shaping, place the cookie dough in the fridge for 1 hour before baking.
About 15 minutes beofre baking, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and place rack in center of oven.
Bake 8 cookies per pan, for 10-12 minutes or until set on top and the cookie no longer looks wet. Let cookies cool completely before frosting.
Cream together room-temperature butter and powdered sugar. Add peanut butter and beat until smooth. Add milk a tablespoon at time, just until frosting is smooth and creamy. Set aside.
Cream butter and 5 cups powdered sugar. Add cocoa and vanilla. Add milk a tablespoon at a time until frosting is smooth. If needed, add more powdered sugar.
After cookies are cooled, frost with peanut butter frosting.
Then frost on top of the peanut butter frosting with the chocolate frosting. When spreading the chocolate frosting on top of the peanut butter frosting, be very gentle and leave a small space between the edge of the peanut butter frosting and the chocolate frosting for a layered frosting look (see photos).
- At Cutler's they use Cake flour in their cookie recipes. After testing this recipe at home, we found All Purpose flour works best and still tastes about the same. Using Cake flour creates a cookie that spreads out a bit too much for home baking.
- Highly recommended, refrigerate the dough for at least 60 minutes after shaping for best results!