I originally posted this pie recipe back in 2009, when I was trying to find a recipe for strawberry pie made without Danish Dessert or Jello. I couldn’t find one I loved, so I came up with my own version.
This recipe has just a few ingredients, and is so simple to make.
Cook a few of the berries, add sugar and cornstarch
Add a little strawberry jam
Mix the glaze with the fresh berries
Dump into the crust
It starts with a home made single pie crust, fresh berries, strawberry jam and a little sugar and cornstarch to thicken the glaze. It tastes like a strawberry pie should.
Hope you love this recipe and enjoy Pi Day tomorrow!
- 1- 8 inch baked and cooled pie or tart crust
- 2 quarts strawberries, washed and hulled, divided
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- red food coloring
- Whipping cream
- Mash about 1 cup of the strawberries in a small saucepan.Add the sugar and strawberry jam.Stir to dissolve.Whisk in cornstarch, and cook over medium heat until bubbly and mixture begins to thicken, about 10 minutes. Add about 5 drops of red food coloring, stir.Set aside to cool.Cut the remaining strawberries in half and place in large bowl.After the sugared mixture is cooled, pour over the fresh strawberries, and mix gently.Pour all of the strawberries into the pie shell.Refrigerate for about 2-3 hours.Top with whipping cream.
-Serve pie with in about 6 hours of assembling if possible.
-You may use either a single pie crust or a tart shell.
-Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
-Don't forget the whipped cream. Seriously essential.