ABK’s Fresh Strawberry Pie is everything you want in a fresh fruit pie! The main ingredient is none other than… fresh strawberries. Read this recipe to find out my secret ingredient and why this Fresh Strawberry Pie is the best ever!
I originally posted ABK’s Fresh Strawberry Pie recipe back in 2009, when I was trying to find a recipe for strawberry pie made without Danish Dessert or Jello. I couldn’t find one I loved, so I came up with my own version.
No Jello or “Danish Dessert” in this pie. I found that mashing some fresh strawberries and cooking them a bit in a saucepan with sugar and a little cornstarch made the perfect thickener for the filling. A little strawberry jam also helped stabilize the pie filling and gave it a fresh flavor. If you have homemade freezer jam use it! If not, store bought will work.
ABK’s Fresh Strawberry Pie starts with a homemade single pie crust. Our pie crust recipe is the flakiest recipe you’ll find with a fool-proof method for making a crust that won’t shrink when blind baked! You can also use a graham cracker crust.
ABK’s Fresh Strawberry Pie has just a few ingredients, and is so easy to make. The most difficult part of this recipe is making sure to allow enough time for pie to set up! If you love fresh strawberries, this has to be on your list of recipes to make while the weather is warm. Nothing says summer like fresh strawberry pie!
ABK’s Fresh Strawberry Pie
ABK's Fresh Strawberry Pie is the best strawberry pie you will ever make. Made without Jello, it's the freshest pie filled with strawberries in a homemade flaky crust.
- 1 8-inch baked and cooled pie or tart crust recipe for ABK pie crust
- 2-3 quarts strawberries washed and hulled, divided
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam homemade or store bought
- red food coloring
- Whipping cream
Mash about 1 cup of the strawberries in a small saucepan.
Add the sugar and strawberry jam to the strawberries in the saucepan. Stir to dissolve.
Whisk in cornstarch, and cook over medium heat until bubbly and mixture begins to thicken, about 10 minutes.
Add about 5 drops of red food coloring, stir. Set aside to cool. Or to cool faster, scrape out of pan and into a bowl and refrigerate.
Cut the remaining strawberries in half and place in large bowl.
After the cooked and mashed mixture is cooled completely, pour over the fresh strawberries, and fold together.
Pour all of the strawberries into the pie shell. Refrigerate for about 2-3 hours. Top with whipping cream.
- Use the freshest strawberries you can find, without bruises or discoloration.
- Serve pie within about 6 hours of assembling if possible.
- To make ahead (not more than one day)- Make the pie crust, cool completely. Make the cooked portion of the pie filling and refrigerate. Slice the berries and refrigerate. 2-6 hours before serving, whisk the cooked portion of the filling, fold the cut berries into the filling. Pour into pie crust and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- You may use either a single pie crust or a tart shell.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Don’t forget the whipped cream. Seriously essential!