Want to give Dad something he’ll love for Father’s Day? Follow this plan…
1. Buy some good quality steaks. I love the steaks at Snake River Farms, trust me, Dad will LOVE anything from SRF. The steaks I used for this post are Cowboy Steaks, aka Bone In Rib Eye Steak. They are about 2 1/2 inches thick and are bone-in, weighing in at about 2-2.5 lbs each.
2. Mix up the dry rub in about 2 minutes. Double the recipe if you want to package up some of the extra dry rub mix in a cute little container to give to Dad. Buy a BBQ spatula, tie a ribbon around it, along with the homemade dry rub mix.
3. Invite Dad over for a bbq, give him the dry rub mix and spatula. Cook up the steaks and prepare to be Dad’s new favorite child.
ABK’s Dry Steak Rub
- Double if giving away as a gift!
- 2 tablespoons paprika regular or smoked
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 3-4 tablespoons Sea Salt
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Pepper
- 1 tablespoon thyme optional
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar if using as a rub for ribs
- For best results apply rub 24 hours before serving meat.
Mix all ingredients in a medium size bowl.
Apply seasonings to meat by sprinkling generously on to surface of meat, massage into meat, turn and repeat on opposite side. Cover meat or place in a Ziplock bag and let the dry rub sit on the meat overnight in the fridge. About 2 hours before cooking, remove meat from refrigerator. Place meat on a plate, and let sit on counter until ready to cook.
-It is best to apply the dry rub for at least 24 hours before cooking the meat, or at least 2 hours before.
-You may also use garlic salt and onion salt, in place of powders, if doing so, omit the sea salt.
-Target often sells cute glass containers perfect for bottling spices in their $1 section right in the front of the store.
Instructions for cooking Cowboy Steak: You will need the rub ingredients above and 1-2 lb steak to feed approx 2-3 people (depending on amounts of side dishes and how hungry you all are!) Butter, about 1 tablespoon Turn grill to medium high. Cook the steak for about 4 minutes on each side. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook meat for about 15 minutes, turning every 4-5 minutes. The temperature of the grill should be about 400 degrees. After about 12-15 minutes, insert meat thermometer in center of steak it should register 115-125 for medium rare. Remove from grill. Quickly spread the butter (about 1 tablespoon) on top of the steak. Let sit on a serving plate for a full 15 minutes, covered loosely in foil before cutting. The steak will continue cooking after being removed from heat. The steak may also be cooked in an oven (use temperature guidelines in recipe). Sear the meat on both sides on stove with a little olive oil in a pan before placing in oven.
3 thoughts on “ABK’s Dry Rub for Steak and Ribs”
This rub was amazing. I used it on everything! Thank you.
This may be a silly question, but is the Thyme listed, ground or leaves?
Hi TruAnn, it calls for ground Thyme. Thanks for asking!