Grilled Cheese was a staple during a busy week when we were raising our family. The kids loved it, and it was easy to make. In 2018, grilled cheese is taking on a whole new identity. This Spicy Asiago, Bacon and Sautéed Mushroom Grilled Cheese with Homemade Tomato Jam is a fun way to change up the old standby!
Consider making this dressed up grilled cheese with homemade tomato jam the next time your kids ask for grilled cheese! It will blow their minds and you’ll love the variation from a standard grilled cheese sandwich.
Grilled cheese is something almost everyone has eaten in their lifetime. Dunked in tomato soup, it’s practically a balanced meal. Not really, but you’re covering dairy, grain, fat, vegetable (a stretch, I know). This recipe for Spicy Asiago, Bacon and Sautéed Mushroom Grilled Cheese with Homemade Tomato Jam has a little something for everyone.
Set it up in a buffet-type setting and let everyone build their own sandwich. Grill and serve with a bowl of tomato soup for an added component to the meal and you’ve got something fancy enough to invite over company! You can select your own fillings for the sandwich, according to what you like. I made this for Grant and Stephen and they both loved it. Usually Grant isn’t a fan of grilled cheese, but the bacon, sautéed mushroom and spicy cheese won him over.
Mayo is the perfect coating for the outside of the bread instead of butter. It creates a nice crispy golden coating when cooked and adds delicious flavor to the sandwich. Remember, it is in place of the butter you usually spread on the outside of your grilled cheese, so no butter needed. The tomato jam totally makes this sandwich special in my opinion. It’s sweet and a little tangy and the color is so pretty in the sandwich. You may want serve this the next time your girlfriends come over for lunch and make a fun salad to go on the side while everyone builds their own sandwich to grill.
- 1 lb tomatoes, chopped
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 slices home style white bread
- mayonnaise (not low fat)
- ½ lb Wisconsin Peperoncino Asiago with Spicy Red Pepper cheese, sliced and at room temperature
- ¾ lb thick cut peppered bacon, cook until almost crisp, drained on paper towel
- 1 lb mushrooms, washed and sliced thick, sautéed in 1 tablespoon butter and dash of salt
- Cook tomatoes in small saucepan over medium high heat. Add sugar and continue to cook until thick and the mixture turns a dark red color, about 10 minutes. Squeeze lemon juice and continue to cook for another 2 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Place pan on stove and turn heat to medium. Spread one side of bread with mayo. Lay bread, mayo side down onto heated pan.
- Layer sliced cheese on top of bread. Top with slices of bacon, and a layer of sautéed mushrooms. Spread with tomato jam if desired. Top with another layer of cheese.
- Spread mayonnaise onto one side of second slice of bread. Place bread, spread side up on top of sandwich in pan. When underside of sandwich is golden, carefully turn the sandwich using a spatula. Cook until both sides of the sandwich are golden.
- Repeat to make 3 more sandwiches. Serve immediately with tomato jam.