Let’s Talk About SOUP
Back to Basics
Instant Pot White Cheddar Potato Soup: Just in Time for Chilly Fall Nights
Instant Pot White Cheddar Potato Soup
If you're looking for a quick and easy dinner to serve this fall and winter season, this is it. Instant Pot White Cheddar Potato Soup is warm, comforting, and ready in no time. It's perfect for busy weeknights and filled with a delicious blend of sharp white cheddar and savory potato.
- 4 large Russet potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour 1/2 cup if you want it thicker
- 1 quart half and half
- 2 tablespoons dried onion
- 32 oz chicken broth or stock
- 1 lb or 4 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, grated I used Tillamook
- 1-2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- teaspoon pepper or to taste
Place potatoes and water into Instant Pot. Make sure rubber ring is in place inside of lid and the vent is set to the "sealing" position. Using the MANUAL setting, or HIGH PRESSURE setting, cook potatoes for 10 minutes.
When the timer goes off, release the pressure using a manual pressure release. Remove potatoes from the Instant Pot. Peel and dice potatoes, and set aside in a bowl. Drain off any remaining water and discard. Rinse out the Instant Pot insert with water, and place back into the Instant Pot.
Turn the setting to SAUTE and place butter into the Instant Pot. After the butter melts add flour, salt and pepper. Whisk the ingredients together.
Whisk in half and half. Add dried onion and chicken broth. The soup will start to thicken at this point.
Add cut up potatoes to the soup base and stir with a large spoon.
Stir in sharp cheddar cheese and add salt and pepper to taste.
- If you don't have dried onion on hand, you can finely chop 1/2 cup of onion and sauté in butter on step 3 of instructions.
- You may also use milk in place of half and half, the soup will not be as thick, but still have great flavor.
- I use Russet potatoes, but you may also use white or red potatoes. I think Russets are the easiest potatoes to peel after cooking in the Instant Pot.
- I used Sharp White Cheddar Cheese (Tillamook brand) but you may use yellow cheddar, medium or sharp. I've also used Pepperjack Cheese in this soup for a little bit of a spicy kick.