Looking for a homemade appetizer to please any crowd? This 5 Minute Easy Hummus recipe is the best of all worlds, it is healthy, delicious, and takes minutes to make!
I love good hummus. It’s smooth and creamy, and has just the right balance of tang. Pair this with a soft wedge of pita bread or some fresh veggies and I’m one happy camper. The best part is that it takes minutes to make. With just a few simple ingredients, you can have authentic, homemade hummus on your table in no time. There is no excuse not to make this!
Hummus is one of the most classic Middle Eastern dips, made by blending chickpeas with tahini, garlic and lemon. This delicious dip can be found in almost any grocery store and at many restaurants. But homemade, as always, is a hundred times better than store bought! The texture is smoother, the flavor is more profound, and the overall result is so much more satisfying because it’s made with love in your kitchen.
Hummus is an amazing alternative to other dips filled with empty calories and a list of ingredients you probably can’t even pronounce. It’s packed with plant-based protein, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that help with inflammation. Hummus also has a decent amount of fiber, which is good for your digestive health and helps keep you full!
IMO ABK’s 5 Minute Hummus recipe is the ultimate dip for everyone, from vegans to those with nut, dairy or gluten intolerances (yes, tahini is safe for people with nut allergies!). It’s incredibly easy to make, budget friendly, and filled with amazing nutrients. I promise, you’ll want to spoon this savory spread on everything from sandwiches, to crackers, to pita bread, to veggies!
If you are headed to a gathering, homemade hummus is a great dish to take! Most people purchase prepared hummus. But this recipe is so much better than store-bought, you’ll have a difficult time not comparing it to your creamy, flavor-packed homemade version!
If you are partying with your hummus, take along a cutting board, a small bowl, and chopped veggies. When you arrive at the party, arrange and serve. Homemade Naan (below) is easy to make and is the most delicious way to scoop up fresh hummus!
Tips for making 5 Minute Hummus:
- I use canned chickpeas, at room temperature. Drain the can of liquid, but do not rinse. The liquid that sticks to the chickpeas has flavor that you want in your hummus!
- Use fresh lemon juice if at all possible. The bottle or frozen concentrate is good in a pinch, but in a recipe like this with so few ingredients, I like to make sure the ingredients are fresh. It makes a difference, trust me!
- Same with garlic. If you can use a fresh bulb of garlic and chop one of the cloves for this recipe, do it! In a pinch, use pre-chopped. I do not recommend using dried garlic or garlic powder.
- Tahini is found in most grocery stores. It is usually located by the olive oil or near other ethnic foods such as Asian or Latin American foods. Trader Joe’s carries an affordable and good tasting tahini, this brand (along with many others) are available on Amazon. Unless you are making huge amounts of tahini, I suggest purchasing at a grocery store in a single jar. A jar of tahini will usually keep for about 4-6 months refrigerated. Make sure to refrigerate after opening.
- Always use Extra Virgin Olive oil for this recipe!
5 Minute Easy Hummus Recipe
If you love hummus as much as I do, you will love this 5 minute recipe for easy homemade hummus! It's creamy and tangy and has the most delicious flavor. I love to whip up a batch and have it on hand to eat for snacks or lunch!
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained but not rinsed*
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 large clove garlic (about 1 heaping teaspoon minced or crushed)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (or more to taste)
- 3 tablespoons tahini paste* see recipe notes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- additional olive oil and a few sesame seeds for drizzling (optional)
- Fresh vegetables: cucumber, grape tomatoes, sliced peppers of any color, carrots, pita wedges or crackers
Place all ingredients into a bowl. Using immersion blender or food processor, blend until smooth.
Serve immediately or keep in refrigerator, covered tightly for up to 5 days.
- Drain, but do not rinse the chickpeas. The bit of liquid that remains on the chickpeas is flavorful and is essential to the flavor of the hummus!
- If you don’t have access to tahini paste, you can make your own. Pour 1/4 cup of toasted sesame seeds into a small bowl or jar. Using an immersion blender, turn on and pulse until the seeds become a paste with the 3 tablespoons of olive oil in the recipe. Proceed with recipe by blending in additional ingredients until smooth.
One thought on “5 Minute Easy Hummus Recipe”
Love your recipes 💜