Easy Southwest Tortilla Rollups are made of everything you love in a Southwestern style meal, rolled up into a tortilla. This is a bake-and-go recipe, perfect for busy evenings!
Easy Southwest Tortilla Rollups the perfect meal!
Easy Southwest Tortilla Rollups is a recipe my friend Tessa gave me back when our kids were young. I loved it because it included everything I love in a meal- chicken, cheese, black beans, corn, red pepper, onion and fresh spinach rolled inside of a tortilla! We love this served with this simple salsa and guacamole. If you don’t have time to make your own, buy a jar of salsa and chop up some avocados as a side.
Baking vs Deep Fried
I am a big fan of baked, instead of deep fried dishes, so this recipe (similar to taquitos but SO MUCH BETTER) is right up my alley. No greasy mess, no smell of deep fried food filling the house. Just chop, roll and bake. This is my kind of dinner!
Make ahead for the easiest meal!
The ingredients can be prepared ahead, with all of the work done and filling refrigerated up to two days before baking. The chicken may also be cooked ahead, chopped and cooled; or if you’re in a huge hurry, pick up a roitesserie chicken and cut up.
Perfect Southwest meal for the whole family
The kids loved Easy Southwest Tortilla Rollups as much as Grant and me, which was always a determining factor when planning dinner. This recipe also heats up perfectly for leftovers.
Just place in a paper towel and heat up in the microwave for a few seconds until warm. Anything homemade, easy and semi-healthy is a win in my book! Serve this with a salad or fruit for a complete meal your family will love.
If you are looking for other recipes with a Southwest flair, try any of these amazing ABK recipes: Southwest Salad with Honey Cilantro Line Dressing, Chicken Enchilada Dip, Cafe Rio Copycat Recipes, Southwest Soup, Mexican Street Corn Salad, or Instant Pot Salsa Chicken.
Easy Southwest Chicken Rollups
This quick and easy dish is a complete meal in a tortilla! Bake dinstead of deep fried keeps it healthy too.
- 3 cups cooked chopped chicken breast meat*
- 1 red pepper seeded and chopped
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 1/2 cups corn if in season, about 2-3 large cobs, cooked and cut off cob, or frozen corn
- 1-15.5 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2- 2 cups fresh spinach washed OR 1 bunch green onion, cut into 1/2 inch pieces green and white parts
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese grated
- 12 10-12 inch tortillas – flour for best results, use fresh flour (refrigerated) tortillas, 20 oz package about 12 tortillas
- sea or kosher salt and pepper to taste I use about 1 teaspoon of each
If using fresh tortillas, grill lightly on hot griddle for about 30-60 seconds per side. Remove to plate and set aside.
Place all filling ingredients in a medium to large bowl. Mix lightly. If using frozen corn, do NOT thaw first. Just add to mixture frozen.
Spread about 1/4 to 1/3 cup filling in the middle of each tortilla, depending on how thick or thin you want the rolls to be. Roll tightly and place on a lightly greased or parchment lined cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Brush the top of the tortillas lightly with canola, vegetable or olive oil, or spray lightly with cooking spray.
Bake at 375-400 degrees for 15 minutes on middle rack until golden brown. No need to turn the tortilla rollups!
Remove and serve immediately or at room temperature with salsa, sour cream and guacamole.
- Great as a make ahead dish. Prepare as directed in recipe and cover tightly with foil. Place in fridge until ready to bake and serve. Remove foil before baking. Make up to 2 days ahead.
- This dish may also be prepared ahead by cooking chicken, chopping all other filling ingredients. Place ingredients in refrigerator. When ready to assemble, add spices and mix. Assemble and cook as directed.
- I highly recommend using fresh tortillas in this recipe. Fresh tortillas are thinner and will hold the filling better without breaking apart.
- If you’d like to make about 15 tortillas, use 4 cups of chicken and 3 cups of cheese, 1 small 10-12 oz bag of frozen corn.